Thursday, May 29, 2008
On the way back home, my mind was far from idle.

Not only did Anthony keep staring at me when everyone else was busy talking, but he immediately asked for my number once he was sure that no one was looking. I was too stunned to process what he said; I didn't remember taking his phone and dialing in my number. I'm beginning to think that I must have been dreaming.

And he didn't stop there.

After sitting for almost an hour, we decided to walk along the pier to stretch our legs. Everyone went in small groups; I was with Rosie and Roger. A little later, we stopped and leaned against the railings that separated us from the sea; we let the wind ruin our hair and make our eyes squint, but we didn't mind. Rosie was saying something about a dog with two legs that can swim for about thirty miles when Cornelius interrupted.

"Hey, guys", he said cheerfully as he wedged himself in between Roger and Rosie, draping an arm on their shoulders. I only managed to hear them greet him in return when I noticed something from behind him.

Anthony was standing there, waving his arms, beckoning me to go over to him. I gave him a questioning look but he only gestured again.

"I'll be over there", I said, turning to Rosie and Roger.

My voice was drowned by their laughter; Cornelius said something that highly amused them but he looked at me.

"Oh, sorry about that Kelsey", he said apologetically.

I smiled. "I'll meet you guys back here in a bit", I said, then I turned and walked towards the still-waiting Anthony. None of them looked back.

As their voices grew fainter, I suddenly became aware that my heart was almost racing in my chest. Strange, I thought. Was it the nerves? I doubt that. But then again, I hardly know the guy since I've only met him, formally, at least, just a few hours earlier. I'm pretty sure he hasn't seen me around the campus a lot and he only knew me because I was once Chris' girlfriend. Maybe he wanted to talk about our failed relationship? Well, that's a possibility; but even that sounded odd to my ears.

I thought of turning back, tell him that I've forgotten something. But then I would look like a coward. And besides, I don't know what his real intentions are; maybe he just wanted to talk. But why would he talk to me? There are a lot of us and yet, he wants to talk to me?

"Hi".

I looked up; I was already standing in front of him. I blinked. I didn't realize how fast I must have walked. We were standing under the shade of a palm tree; just one of the hundreds more that lined up the boardwalk before the pier.

"Hello", I answered automatically, giving him a small smile.

"I heard you guys played paintball this morning", he said conversationally.

Paintball? He dragged me all the way there just to talk about paintball? "Yeah, we did", I said as cheerfully as I could. "It was our first time".

"Really? I haven't had the chance", he said. "My schedule sees to it that I have absolutely no social life".

"That's kind of harsh, don't you think?" I asked. "I mean, its not like you knew what you were getting yourself into when you enrolled in that course".

"I know", he said, then he sighed. "It's such a drag. But still, I enjoy it. Even the night classes", he grimaced.

I chuckled. "Gee, how nice. I'm surprised you haven't turned into a vampire yet".

"Just you wait. A few more years and the transformation will be complete", he said mischievously.

"Oooh, I guess I'd better run for my life, then, huh?" I said in mock horror.

"You'd better, or else you'll end up being one of my first victims". He made a show of baring his teeth and crouching down with his hands curled up like talons as he hovered over me.

I took a step back, but I was laughing. "It suits you", I gasped.

He laughed along. "I suppose I could find a real vampire so you'll be really scared", he said, shaking his head.

"Good luck with that", I said.

Anthony nodded but the laughter still hadn't died from his lips. "The guys and I are planning on hitting the waves next weekend", he said a bit seriously a little later. "We really need a break. Why don't you guys come too?". I looked at him suspiciously. Was that hope in his voice?

"I dunno", I said, as I glanced at the others on the other side of the pier. "Exams are coming up. Carly will throw a fit if we procrastinate".

"You have the whole week to study", he pointed out. "And that's already plenty of time. And you gotta admit, you'll drive yourselves crazy if you bury your noses in your books for a whole week. You gotta loosen up at least for a day. I'm sure even Carly won't say no to that".

I looked at him for about five seconds before rolling my eyes. "You are such a bad influence", I mumbled.

He grinned at me. "So, is that a yes?" he said a little eagerly.

"I'll ask the others later. But I'm not making any promises", I warned him.

"That's cool", he said as he shrugged. "I just wanted to hang out with you guys more".

I turned away. I didn't want to mention that he emphasized the "I" and "you". What the hell is going on?

He didn't seem put off by my silence; instead, he stood beside me, not saying a word. After about two minutes, he said, "Absolutely breathtaking", almost like he was speaking to himself.

I didn't need to ask him what he meant for I saw it, too. The sun was slowly setting in front of us, casting orange, pink and purple beams of light across the horizon. The clouds were scattered against the sky like cotton that fell off a pillow after a pillow fight. A few sea gulls were still screeching as the wheeled somewhere above us. Somehow, in that instant, I felt the world disappear; no people, no trees, no cars, no birds. Just me, the sun and the sea.

And yet, as I heard Anthony breathing beside me, it felt odd, but in a good way. It was like he was there as a reminder that I was not alone, even in my calmest mood, when I didn't need any comforting. It surprised me that he of all people should make me feel that way. I couldn't concentrate on my thoughts, so mesmerized I was at the scene before me.

"Looks like their enjoying themselves", Anthony said, finally breaking the silence. A bit too soon for my liking.

"Of course", I said, but I kept my eyes locked in front of me. "We always love going here. Its our sanctuary, you might say".

"Yes, it is a nice place", he said.

"And it looks like I have a replacement", I added, nodding towards Roger, Rosie and Cornelius; they were in the exact place where I left them.

"Trust me, that's only temporary", Anthony said, his voice light.

"You sound so sure of yourself", I said.

"Of course. I made him go over there", he said off-handedly.

I started and turned to face him. He was looking at me, again, but I couldn't read his expression.

"You made him go there?" I asked. "Why?"

"How else could I have you to myself?" he said indifferently.

It took me a whole minute before his words sunk in. But even then I was still confused. I didn't know if I should be flattered or bewildered.

A little voice in my head was screaming "He's starting to like you!" but I ignored it. No jumping to conclusions, please. He must have meant, "I haven't really gotten the chance to talk to you since there are so many of you". Yeah, that must be it; I did see him talking to Angela alone when we were still in Pizza Hut.

He was looking at me anxiously now but I managed to pull myself together. "You could have just asked", I said, trying to tease him.

"Where's the fun in that?" He looked slightly relieved but he failed to hide the worry in his eyes.

"It's more simple", I stated.

"I like to keep things discreet. At first, anyway. But after that, I like to have a bit of fun", he said, winking.

"And your idea of"--being air quote here--"a bit of fun"--end air quote here--"is going to happen next weekend?"

"Maybe, maybe not", he said mysteriously. "I'm not saying anything".

The sun had set by now and the street lights were staring to come on. I scanned the pier, looking for my friends; I spotted them, but they seemed too engrossed in their conversations to even notice that it was getting dark.

Anthony followed my gaze, with a smug look on his face. "Do you have a curfew?" he asked. "I'm assuming that you live in a dorm?"

I was tempted to ask him what made him assume such a thing but I decided against it. "You are correct. And, not really. I have to be home by eleven or else they'll lock me out", I replied.

"But you can still come in if you knock?"

"Yeah, I can. But I have to wake up the landlandy. She wouldn't be very happy".

"Then why impose curfews? She could just leave the gate open so you can come and go as much as you please", he said quizzically.

"Their just being cautions. The streets aren't that safe anymore", I answered glumly.

He didn't answer, but he changed the topic. "Do you think you'll be able to make it next weekend?"

I sighed. "Your not gonna let this go, are you?"

"Nope", he said, his gray eyes dancing. "Not until you say yes".

"I'm not the only one who makes the decisions!" I cried defensively. "Why don't we talk to them about it now?"

"Sounds good to me", he said. "Ladies first".

I snorted. "Dude, this is the twenty-first century. It doesn't matter who goes first".

"Call me a grandpa, then", he said jokingly. "But I insist that you go first".

"Okay, whatever", I said but I smiled at him as I led the way.

After a quick conversation, plus a few pleadings to Carly and a lot of promises of studying over time, we managed to book our weekend outing. Anthony grinned at me and gave me a look that clearly said, "I bet you were thinking that you were gonna get off the hook, huh? Not a chance!". I wanted to punch him but everyone was already getting ready to leave.

I didn't get to talk to him again because Jerry engaged him in a conversation as we walked toward the parking lot with their group ahead of ours. As they climbed into their car, they all waved and said their goodbyes. I looked at him, he gave me a smile and a tiny wave before he disappeared inside.

I pondered at our conversation. I only came up with two answers: it was either he was starting to like me or he was just being friendly; a part of me hoped for the first, but another part of me hoped for the second. But I was getting ahead of myself.

As I leaned my head against the already snoozing Roger, I couldn't help but remember at how handsome he looked when he smiled and how silly he was when he tried to imitate a vampire. I remembered how his eyes shone when he was playing around. And I remembered how he maintained the memory of the old days by being a gentleman; if only he offered his arm then it would have been complete.

I slapped myself mentally. This is not what I expected to happen. Its too soon. But it seems like Fate has other plans for me, again. Sometimes I wonder if She liked to mess around with my love life and that she enjoyed to see me squirm; she's presented me a few offers, meaning a few suitors, none of which were tempting enough for me to even think twice about them. She must be growing frustrated at my lack of interest so she finally decides to throw someone--to put it bluntly--at me, knowing really well my strengths and weaknesses; but She is a "higher authority" so I can't really complain. I left everything to Her when I was with Chris; and now I think its wise if I left my "friendship" with Anthony with Her, too. I've been down that road before, and it seems to me that she's making me make that journey once again, only this time, with someone else.

Time has always been her ally, as well as mine. She plants the seed of admiration, which will eventually bear the fruit of love. If she sees us fit, then I will comply with her wishes. But if not, well, then I'll just have to accept it. Rejection is part of the game, after all.

One thing's for sure: the flame that died last month's been extinguished forever, and that a new one has taken its place; newly lit and weak--but its there.
posted by LAUREDILIAN at 7:13 AM |



0 Comments: